Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Night at the Opera

My students wrote an opera this year. They wrote the words, sang the melody which was compiled to a score. They learned the music, created most of the coreography and painted the set. They even created their costumes. It turned out incredibly! So much so, the man who owned the theater we rented told us that was the best production he has seen from kids this age. So many of my students THRIVE on being in the lime light that this was the perfect thing for them. The one who complained through the whole process showed up with the best costume. The kids did such a wonderful job. I was so proud of them! I can see why so many have a hard time being quiet and staying in their seats. They need to be seen and performing something for them to find value in the action. I made a lot of suggestions to parents the following day to put their child in theater this summer. Don't let that talent go unharnessed! Interestingly, like most moms and teachers, I watched the performance from backstage so I could be there to remind them to be on stage etc. It was a magical night for all of us! Fun part is, we get to perform it again. This time for the entire school the last day we are in school. This is an experience I will not soon forget.

1 comment:

Just Only Me said...

That's AMAZING!!!!!!! I want to heart it, did anyone record it? Congrats to you for all your hard work. How many days left now? Can't wiat to see you this weekend, hurry up and get here! You can workout with me, you betcha.

Love you!!!!