Thursday, December 4, 2008
It's Finally Starting!
The last four months, to be honest, have been an absolute nightmare. This is actually putting things mildly. I have not had any support for the challenges in my room. I have 26 students. 2 of which should be in self contained classes with a one on one teacher. I have three (that are identified and diagnosed) emotionally disturbed kids, 2 kids who can't add basic numbers are read a complete sentence. These are just a few issues. I have about 9 others who should be pulled out for special ed for half the day. Did I mention the emotionally disturbed kids are triplets? The lowest kids are brother and sister who are cousins to one of the other students, too. So, problems from home come to school, which is never helpful! That leaves 10 who are emotionally, mentally and physically capable of handling a regular work load any second grader would be asked to accomplish. But the history is only beginning. Last year, this class was altogether and had a teacher who was fired half way through the year. Up until that point, the teacher ran a glorified day care center. Four other teachers and adults were in the room at all times to cram a years worth of information into several months before being let out for the summer and forgetting most of it. This is where I come in...literally. I was hired, not told of the situation. After assessing the situation the first day, I knew I was in over my head. It has been a struggle ever since. I've had a boss who told me I was stubborn and unwilling, a mentor who talked poorly about me to my fellow teachers behind my back, being told it would just take time and I needed to learn how to teach kids. FINALLY- someone heard me and came to see what my room was like. She set up a system where the students and parents were held accountable for their actions. The severe needs of my room are FINALLY being heard and addressed. The severely emotionally disturbed kids needs are being addressed, I have more support from by boss and we are making progress. I AM FINALLY HEARD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
wow! You're a trooper! It's hard enough to teach for your first year, but to be thrown into a situation like that---wow! Good for you to keep pressing forward and good luck! Who was it that finally heard you?
Glad that you're able to get the help you deserve! I'm glad that you are feeling better, what a blessing.
Glad you had fun on your date and can't wait to hear the rest in detail when I've gove some sleep under my belt. love you!!!
Hey Aimee,
Wow...I'm proud of you for not giving up until someone listened. I see similar (but not as bad) situations in classrooms I visit where there is a real problem but no one in the "upline" will listen and act. Hang in there....I'm gong to be calling you today I hope! You called a while back and I forgot until I read your blog! Love ya!
Barb
Post a Comment