Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Are you flying there?

I'm not sure if I shared this gem of a story, yet. If I have, enjoy it again. If not, I hope you enjoy it fully. I sure did! I went to Wal Mart to buy a few things I knew my parents would like as I was preparing for my trip to China for Christmas. I had a cart full of all sorts of odd and end goodies from America: cheetos (crunchy for Aaron, puffed for Mom and Dad), marshmellows and rice crispies to make rice crispy treats and so on. Of course, they are things you can't find in America and just a taste would make them feel a little more American. I gladly picked them up and went to the register. I explained as the woman at the check stand scanned and bagged the groceries my family was in China and I knew these little treats would be appreciated. The woman looked up and asked, "So are you flying there?" At that moment, I was looking in my wallet for my card to scan and had to stop, and look at her to see if she was serious. The scary part, she was. She repeated her question while I fought back a smile and responded, "Yes, I am flying. It's sure going to be funny to fill up my bags full of American groceries to take into China, but I know my family will enjoy it." While I finished that sentence, I realized how close I was to telling her I was going to swim across the ocean with the groceries on my back held above my head so the rice crispies and cheetos wouldn't get soggy. What an image. It certainly would have been cheaper to go that route and then I wouldn't have to worry about the weight of my bags! Why didn't I think of this sooner?!

1 comment:

Tami said...

lol! This has to be one of the best China stories yet. I'm sure that she has no idea how dumb a question it was....right? However you came, I'm awfully glad you did. And you brought Cheetos!