I had the best weekend. I went down to visit my best friend and her family in Aurora, Utah. We took it easy Friday night. Saturday, I went for a run in the morning and then we went hiking in southern Utah. We went to the Fremont Indian sites. This whole park has been preserved because of some miraculous findings.
During the construction of I-70, the project came to a hault when they found signs of pit houses and other ruins on top of a ridge. BYU was invited to come excavate the area before the ridge was removed for the continuation of the highway. This ridge was named Five Fingers Ridge. The ancient civilization of the Fremont Indians was delicately preserved in this mountain. Very little is known about this group of people. No one knows why they were there, what happened to them or any true ancestory that is linked to them. The only thing we know is what they left behind.
The Blanket is the largest pictograph of it's kind. The legend says a woman whose new born baby girl died. The baby was buried. The woman came back to Clear Creek Canyon after the winter and painted the blanket to keep her baby warm during future winters. This pictograph can be seen clearly from I-70.

Some of the largest pictographs can be found on the walls of the Clear Creek Canyon. Many images of mountain sheep, humans, horses, hands, and other images scatter the walls of the canyon. It's incredible that this art has withstood the test of time.
After our hike, we watched a movie and then went horse back riding. The following morning, I was pretty stiff. I loved laughing and enjoying my time with this sweet family. Thank you, Harrisons!
3 comments:
How sweet is that, that they woman gave her baby a blanket to ensure warmth forever? I love historical things like that. I'm glad that you got back safely and had a wonderful time, love you!!!
Way cool, Aim! Glad that you had a great time! :)
I've lived in Utah for 29 years and have never been to the Fremont site. Cool.
Hey, we are having a bar-b-que on Memorial day in my backyard at 3 pm. Come if you can (Craig, Gary, Heuers will all be there). Maybe Lisa Ericson and Briahnna....I lost phone number so call me so I can get it again! (My phone drops numbers for some reason...driving me crazy!)
Love, Aunt Barb
Post a Comment