Saturday, December 12, 2009

Jazz Bear Christmas

This morning my friend, Marchelle and I got up really early to meet a group of people who were taking kids to go shopping. This program has been going for over 20 years. The program looks for volunteers to take under priviledged kids to Wal-mart to help them spend 90 dollars for Christmas. The funds are provided and all I had to was enjoy the experience!



This was our 4 year old little buddy, Dillan. He got to go shopping this morning. He was pretty docile until he saw the basketball and we couldn't get him to spend the rest of his money provided.

Marchelle and Dillan


Both Santa and the Jazz Bear came along for the experience. They led the parade down to Wal-mart by riding on the top of the firetruck. This parade took about 50 minutes. By the time we got to the store, most of the kids were nearly asleep. I got my picture taken with the Jazz Bear. Little did I know he was going to pick me up!
Side note, the Jazz Bear was more popular than Santa Claus. In fact, the kids followed him around yelling "Jazz, look at me!" Santa left in his suburban as soon as we got to Wal-mart. No offense intended, Santa.
One little boy spoke Spanish and we could hear him refering to the mascot as "Yazz" bear. Marchelle and I both smiled. Of course, a "J" is pronounced as a "y" sound. Silly us.
It was quite an experience to be with this sweet 4 year old. We sang songs, tickled each other, stole noses, hid and all sorts of games on the way home from the store. When it was our time to go, we stood up and Marchelle said "Well we need to go now." Dillan, without missing a beat said "Ok, thank you." What a sweet boy. How can I miss a little boy I only met this morning and spent only a few hours with?

1 comment:

Tami said...

What a sweet opportunity... he looks like one of those little boys that can steal your heart! And go Yazz!!