Monday, May 17, 2010

High Standards

"In a world catering to people starved for time, where takout has become a way of life for many, do you really need to seperate the eggs and beat the white for tonight's dessert? Yes! Grow your own vegetables? Of course! Create beautiful centerpieces? Absolutely! There's something about cooking, gardening, and crafts that nourishes the soul in a way no trip to a restaurant, florist, or shop ever could. Your creativity and insistence on getting the job done right are the perfect antidote to the sameness that dominates modern life. So when you decide to sponge paint the kitchen wall in colors like the sunset, press the most exquisite rosebuds to decorate your favorite scrapbook or make a great souffle' we think you're making your home and your world a better place."

Would you be surprised if I told you it came from a Martha Stewart magazine and not the Ensign? I was sitting in a doctor's office waiting room when I came across this article with the title "High Standards". The whole time I was reading it I was thinking about Elder Uchdorf's address at a women's address awhile back about our need to create. I thought about how we have the desire to make, decorate, create, bake etc. These desires and actions touch lives in ways the factory produced items never could.

2 comments:

Ashley Lloyd said...

That is such a true insight. It's so perfect! Your blog looks so cute! Love it!

Tami said...

Martha Stewart magazine? Really?! Wow. Great insights. Midterms will be over this weekend. What are we going to do to celebrate. Are you available saturday late afterrnon/evening?

PS. I love love love the new look of your blog!! It's so YOU!