I thought September 22, 2010 was going to be a normal day. I was going to play frisbee. with a friend. A normal game of frisbee turned into a not so normal game. We were playing around and I was tripped. I heard a really loud pop and I fell. It hurt like nothing I had ever quite experienced before. I layed on the grass for quite awhile until it felt like I could sit up without it hurting. I didn't think anything really serious happened. I got up and went on my way. I went to work the following day. My knee really hurt. It was starting to swell and getting very stiff. Friday night, I decided something was really wrong. I went to the doctor. They took x rays and they said I tore the LCL and to stay off of it. I borrowed crutches from a roommate and a wheel chair so I could still teach from someone else. Weeks went by and the swelling didn't go down and it seemed to get worse rather than better. I was already on prescription pain killers and no weight bearing on that leg. I couldn't bend it nearly at all. Very specific points on the knee and behind my knee hurt to touch. It felt like a huge bruise had developed above my knee cap. Finally, I decided to go to an orthopedic doctor. They took x rays, pushed and pulled, twisted and bent my knee. Without being able to really help it, I cried. Finally, they told me I needed to get an MRI to see what really was going on. I did so. The doctor came in and I tried to read his face as he said I had a long description of my knee. Usually people have a 2 paragraph explanation. I had a page and a paragraph. It turns out I have a partially torn ACL, partially torn PCL, fluid in my knee, cyst on the back of the knee, and the bone of my knee is bruised. I don't need surgery, at which I nearly hugged the doctor, but I do need to do physical therapy. What an answer to prayer to not need surgery and the doctor said I would fully recover without any permanant effect of the injury. I was so glad to hear that! After a month into this injury, swelling has gone down a little, I can walk sometimes almost normally, and I can almost bend it past a 90 degree angle. Now, the only thing I need is time. Who knew 10 seconds of time could have such lasting effects?Sunday, October 24, 2010
Seriously?
I thought September 22, 2010 was going to be a normal day. I was going to play frisbee. with a friend. A normal game of frisbee turned into a not so normal game. We were playing around and I was tripped. I heard a really loud pop and I fell. It hurt like nothing I had ever quite experienced before. I layed on the grass for quite awhile until it felt like I could sit up without it hurting. I didn't think anything really serious happened. I got up and went on my way. I went to work the following day. My knee really hurt. It was starting to swell and getting very stiff. Friday night, I decided something was really wrong. I went to the doctor. They took x rays and they said I tore the LCL and to stay off of it. I borrowed crutches from a roommate and a wheel chair so I could still teach from someone else. Weeks went by and the swelling didn't go down and it seemed to get worse rather than better. I was already on prescription pain killers and no weight bearing on that leg. I couldn't bend it nearly at all. Very specific points on the knee and behind my knee hurt to touch. It felt like a huge bruise had developed above my knee cap. Finally, I decided to go to an orthopedic doctor. They took x rays, pushed and pulled, twisted and bent my knee. Without being able to really help it, I cried. Finally, they told me I needed to get an MRI to see what really was going on. I did so. The doctor came in and I tried to read his face as he said I had a long description of my knee. Usually people have a 2 paragraph explanation. I had a page and a paragraph. It turns out I have a partially torn ACL, partially torn PCL, fluid in my knee, cyst on the back of the knee, and the bone of my knee is bruised. I don't need surgery, at which I nearly hugged the doctor, but I do need to do physical therapy. What an answer to prayer to not need surgery and the doctor said I would fully recover without any permanant effect of the injury. I was so glad to hear that! After a month into this injury, swelling has gone down a little, I can walk sometimes almost normally, and I can almost bend it past a 90 degree angle. Now, the only thing I need is time. Who knew 10 seconds of time could have such lasting effects?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Aimee! You poor thing! That's the craziest story I've ever heard! And I play frisbee all the time... I'll be thinking twice about that these days! I'm so glad you didn't have to have surgery! Phew! I love you!
I'm telling you! Exercise WILL kill you. Even frisbee.
I second that...so glad you didn't have to have surgery. Hope it continues to improve and you'll be back on your feet (or knee) in no time. Thanks for picking me up at the airport this afternoon. I'm so lucky to have you living close. (Just not quite close enough!!) Have a good week!
You athletic people are tough on knees!
I'm glad you didn't need surgery. I have never heard of the ACL and PCL tearing at the same time...very interesting! It's been a few weeks since you posted. How is your knee now?
Barb
Post a Comment