Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stake Conference

Can I just start about by saying "Wow!"? I showed to the adult session of conference last night. I was so excited to be there because I knew Elder Keech of the 70 were going to be there as well as Elder Robert D. Hales of the 12. There were a few other speakers, but when those chosen apostles stood and bore testimony, the Spirit came to bear witness of the truthfullness of the messages. Last night, Elder Hales spoke of using our agency and we know all of used our agency correctly in the premortal life because we were sitting in that room. He spoke of how our life is filled with trials fit for us. He focused on the part of the Atonement when Christ was in Gethsemane and asked if there was any way other way for this to be accomplished. The Lord sent an angel to strengthen Him in His hour of need. The trial was not taken away, nor was it lessened. The outcome still needed to be accomplished. The Lord did send strength. This is a testimony to us as to how we approach trials. We do not need to tell the Lord what we are going through. He knows already. We need to ask for strength to endure what clearly lies ahead of us. There are many lessons we bring on ourselves through our own actions, then there are trials which are allowed to happen to mold us. We need to use our agency in such a way to bring glory to God. I have a better understanding as to what it means to enjoy our agency. It also is important for us to allow others to use their agency. Satan's plan was to take this agency, and for us to be praying to him, not the Lord. There was a part who supported this plan. They used their agency in that manner. We chose the plan of Christ and used our agency accordingly. He also spoke of Job who chose to glorify God even in his hour of the worst trial. We need to do the same. We need to include in our prayers the words "Thy will be done" and our attitude to say "I understand if it turns out to be the way I do not wish and I will follow and believe in Thee if that is to occur".

This morning during the general session, Elder Hales spoke of many things but I want to focus on one principle. He spoke of the Intercessory Prayer offered by Christ as recorded in John 17. I never read it the way Elder Hales read it. First off, he read part of it and said "Does this sound like a man praying to himself?" Of course not. It is another proof God and Jesus Christ are seperate beings and the prayer shows a plea from a son to a father. In verse 9: Christ is praying for us. In verse 12: none of them are lost, but one who was Judas Iscariot because he used his agency to reject Christ. Verse 14: The world hath hated them. Christ knew we'd be hated at times for our belief and he also knew we would be asked to stand and declare our testimonies boldly. Verse 17: Sanctify them through thy truth, thy word is truth. We will be sanctified through the words of the gospel. What does it mean to sanctify?

Verse 24: Father, I will that htey also whom thou hast given me be with me where I am.

Christ wants us to be with Him! He provided the means, through the commandment of the Father, to do this! Are we living below our capability to join Him? What are we doing to change to be with Him? The next verses talk about Christ praying for us, you and me, to know Christ's Father as He knows Him. In all things Christ was perfectly obedient. How well or to what degree does He know His literal Father? Because of His earthly mother, and literal Father of Heaven, He was able to lay down His life willingly for us to give us the chance to return to live with Him and with His Father. What are we doing to change ourselves so we can do this?

This holiday season, I have been thinking about how we give each other gifts. I want to give a gift to the most important being in my life. The only way I can do this is the change my life for Him. I am going to write a letter describing my gift to Him this year. I invite those who would like to do the same. No one else reads the letter. It stands as a reminder of the person Christ wants me to be and that I am willing to become.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Wow is right! I'll have to give writing Him a letter some thought. As always, thanks for sharing! Love you!

Just Only Me said...

Your words are very wise, but I'd still like a giftcard. :) ha

Just kidding! Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts, they are beautifully written!