Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sand Painting


I made a sand painting one of my last semesters at BYU-Idaho for a religion class. The final project was to research a religion and portray my research in some way. I chose the Navajo religion. The Navajos use sandpaintings frequently as a way to express stories, legends, beliefs, and many other things. As I was doing my research, I learned there are many religions around the world that use sandpaintings as part of their worship and art. I had a lot of left over sand and wanted to create something one day. I started this sand painting. I only had white, black, and cream and brown colors of sand. Not wanting to use the brown in a flower design, I had to get creative. I made the red by using food coloring on the white. It worked really well. The rest of the shades and colors were created by mixing the three colors of sand. It was a lot of work, but so much fun!

No comments: