Sunday, June 15, 2008
Happy Father's Day!
I want to take a second to wish my dad a Happy Father's Day. As I think about all the things he's done for me over the years, it's hard to sum up in one letter the gratitude I feel. From the beignning of my life, he chose to be an engineer rather than a doctor or something because he needed to get through school to support a family. The other day I was getting my bike ready to go for a ride and was a little annoyed I couldn't fix it as fast as Dad did so many times growing up. It's amazing, all the things in life he needed to get done, or all the places he needed to be, he still stopped to fix my bike so I could ride it. I remember once when I was younger I had some money and wanted to take Dad out for a Daddy Daughter outing. It was a lot of fun! We watched The Net and went to TCBY for frozen yogurt. There were al those times where he wanted to play a joke. So many times he wanted to play a joke....from Egore the nasty funny looking man who would come into our room to say good night to us with his pajama shirt pulled up over his head and walking with a limp, putting his nasty running shirt in my backpack for me to find when I got to school (he was kind enough to put a plastic bag in there too so I could put the nasty thing in the bag so it wouldn't stink up my locker...it still did), to putting his "hand" on my shoulder while playing piano just to find out it was the fake hand we kept in our closet, to jumping out to scare us while we walked past the stairs going to the basement. There were many more jokes he played, but one thing stands strong in my memories. His conviction to run every morning regardless of the weather. I am amazed at that dedication. He bore his testimony many times through action. I can't remember a time where he didn't hold two callings at a time. He was a great scout master. I never was a scout, but I saw the influence he had on those young boys who are now serving missions or older. I remember the many times Sunday morning answering the phone and having a young boy on the other end asking for Brother "C". I remember the many times he'd sing in the choir and watch his face as he sang hymns and other praises, right next to our opera singer choir member. He bore his testimony in sacrament meeting a few times. I didn't see my father cry often, but when he spoke of his admiration for his Savior and love for Heavenly Father, his eyes would get a little moist. I loved when he'd share his testimony during Family Home Evening right next to Mom. (and the many times he'd act out the scripture stories using barbies...my favorite was Ammon and gathering all the arms). I appreciate the support he gave me while I prepared to serve a mission and the many times after the mission where I needed help to get through certain times of my life. After graduating from college, I had a little bit of loan money left, but quickly used that up. Several times I've had to humble myself and ask for some help to cover rent that month. I asked him why he offered the money so willingly and so quickly. It frustrated me I couldn't take care of myself completely by now. His response surprised me a little with the answer with absolutely no hesitation. He replied to wait until I had children and I'd know what that felt like. Parents just want their children to be happy. Growing up in my home with my Dad certainly has made me happy! I love my dad very much and want to wish him the best Father's Day! I love you Dad!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, Aim. What a great post of how you feel about your dad!! He sure loves you and does want you to be happy. You have made us happy by your dedication to getting through school and making other good choices in your life. We are so blessed to have you for a daughter! This tribute is going to mean a lot to him!! Thanks for taking the time to write it!!
Love you, see you soon!
Post a Comment