Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Things you didn't know you didn't know

Tonight, my home teachers came over. This was really the first time I'd ever met them and it was great! It's interesting at this stage in life where people have their own careers or at least nearing completing their education for their career. A conversation has so much depth and variety that I was not used to. I talked with my home teachers for about an hour before the lesson was started. One is a correctional officer at the prison. That presents many challenges, for obvious reasons, as well as many things he really likes. He likes helping people get back on their feet and back on their own in the community. I'm sure that is rewarding, and I'm glad someone else can handle that. Leave me with the elementary kids and he can take the convicts. Toward the end of the conversation, I realized we were experiencing the same sorts of things, just with different people. I never thought I'd think teachers were like correctional officer. The other is a civil engineer. I never realized how much a civil engineer did until now. The intriguing thing was is how fascinated I really was about both of these professions. I had no idea the detail that went into making boundaries between lots and buildings. I learned a great deal about the nitty-gritty things about civil engineering. Quite an interesting field. The things you didn't know you didn't know...

1 comment:

Tami said...

The title to this post intrigues me. There's a lot we can learn about things we didn't know we didn't know until we know them! Glad you have HTs that come. Good for them. So much good can come from a few people making a little effort to serve each other.

Love you!!